Proustism

This site will explore some literary background on Proust, but will mainly focus on introducing the reader to Proust's style of writing. I will relate his writing to some of the things we are learning in Hypertext Class as well as experiment with my own writing.

Name:
Location: Tualatin, Oregon

This is my third year in the MAIS program at Marylhurst University and am excited to begin my thesis the fall of '05. I am the proud mother of 5-year old twins--Logan and Nikki---and have a great husband that has put up with me for 12 years.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

My First Attempt At Poetry



Well, here is my first crack at a short poem. I may go back and add, or change, as time marches on. Proust's stream-of-consciousness writing seemed, to me, at times ready to break out into a poem that could have easily complimented the story. Nature was always a part of the story in Swann's Way. Proust touched all five of my senses when it came to flowers, trees, and especially the sun. He had a keen eye on where light fell on the ground, how it came through a window, or how it was reflected off the wall;he spoke,too, of shadows from the sun and moon and how these were connected to the sadness in his life.
My poem starts out from a line in Swann's Way (which will be in quotes) and then my thoughts will continue from there

My Current Life

"Outdoors, too, things seemed frozen in silent attention
so as not to disturb the moonlight"
with its ribbon of light laid gently
on the water's surface.
Now the wind comes,
and the reflection of light seems to struggle
to free itself from the water's embrace.
No, it cannot.
It stays and becomes a thousand
twinkling lights on the lake.
It rides every ripple as do we
in the current of life.

4 Comments:

Blogger johnmclain said...

Nicely done!

11:09 PM  
Blogger map reader said...

Pamela,

This is lovely and I like very much the idea of "riffing" (to use a jazz term)off of a line of Proust. It is a creative endeavor to take a string of words from a writer, then let those words spark your owm imaginative response. It is a beautiful line from Proust; your poem plays with an attempt to take his image of stillness into a desire for movement. Ultimately, Proust's stillness reclaims your poem.

It's good to see the additional posts and the deepening body of ideas and quotations about Proust at your blog.

Meg

10:07 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Pam,

I think your poem is lovely ... is that really your first attempt at poetry!?! If so, I would highly encourage you to take one of Ger Killeen's poetry classes--he's a wonderful teacher, and it seems to me that you have a gift!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Wacky World said...

Pamela--
Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, that's my first attempt as I don't know anything about tempo or what is "correct" stanza poetry. I just throw out my thoughts and enjoy the fact that poetry breaks rules when it comes to "normal" writing.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home