Proustism

This site will explore some literary background on Proust, but will mainly focus on introducing the reader to Proust's style of writing. I will relate his writing to some of the things we are learning in Hypertext Class as well as experiment with my own writing.

Name:
Location: Tualatin, Oregon

This is my third year in the MAIS program at Marylhurst University and am excited to begin my thesis the fall of '05. I am the proud mother of 5-year old twins--Logan and Nikki---and have a great husband that has put up with me for 12 years.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

A Writer's Thoughts on Writing


I just had to share this piece from Swann's Way as I'm always fascinated by what great writers thought about their craft. Hemingway did this in many of his novels--revealed his ideas and opinions through his characters.
The scene below takes place in Proust's garden at Combray, where he is mentally commenting on a book he is reading by one of his favorite authors, Bergotte.
Enjoy!!

"And once the novelist has put us in that state, in which, as in all purely internal states, every emotion is multiplied tenfold, in which his book will disturb us as might a dream but a dream more lucid than those we have while sleeping and whose memory will last longer, then see how he provokes in us within one hour all possible happinesses and all possible unhappinesses just a few of which we would spend years of our lives coming to know and the most intense of which would never be revealed to us because the slowness with which they occur prevents us from perceiving them....." (pg. 87)

2 Comments:

Blogger johnmclain said...

If the author intends to touch the emotion of the reader as though in a dream state, why did he use such a unique style of long never ending sentences weaving one emotion against another, up and down, side to side, until we are mesmerized in a trance-like state of mind.... oh yeah, now I get it!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Wacky World said...

John, I so enjoy reading your comments. And if Proust has any influence on the way you read classic literature, then it makes my blog so much more enjoyable to do.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home